Across the Bay

Monday, December 12, 2005

Tueni Assassinated

Journalist and MP Gebran Tueni was assassinated earlier today.

It's very difficult for me to write right now, and I'll have to come back to this later. For now, I'll quote Walid Jumblat: "Someone told Russian TV that imposing sanctions on Syria would destabilize the Middle East. It looks as if the destabilization has started. But we will respond by continuing to demand the truth."

I'm also listening live to PM Seniora: "We will not succumb. ... The will to live has never been and will never be defeated in Lebanon."

Update: Although I haven't had the ability to blog today, I've been updating my Quick Links with related links. Take a look.

Also, don't miss the commentary of Kais, The Lebanese Bloggers, The Lebanese Political Journal, Mustapha, Stacey Yadav, Caveman, and Ammar Abdulhamid. Also, Lazarus has been updating regularly. For more from the Lebanese blogosphere, head over to Open Lebanon. I will come back with commentary of my own asap.

PS: I also see Michael Totten is back.

Update 2: Michael Young pens Gebran's eulogy. Alas, it wasn't long ago that he eulogized another An-Nahar columnist and fiery critic of the Syrian thugocracy, Samir Qassir.

Update 3: For better or worse, my numbness has placed an involuntary guard over my mouth. So, for now, I'll refrain from commenting on this. But the comment is coming.

Update 4: Ammar Abdulhamid beat me to the punch.

Addendum: It's morning now in Lebanon, and I went to check An-Nahar for news. They posted a letter from the poet Adonis to Ghassan, Gebran's father, on the first page.

My heart has been palpitating all day. Then I clicked on the link for the op-ed columns. And I was overcome with overwhelming sadness, such as the one that overtook me when I listened to PM Seniora's moving word live earlier today.

You see, quickly browsing the major Lebanese papers is my daily routine. The An-Nahar op-ed page is a daily stop. Needless to say, I didn't always agree with everything Gebran had to say, or when or how he used to say it. But looking over today and seeing the column he wrote a few days ago still there, never to be updated, made the silence deafening. The finality of it hit me, and it was a very sad moment. My heart continues to palpitate.

Addendum 2: Usually, Byzantine music manages to completely take my mind off things. Not quite today. But since Gebran was Greek Orthodox, let me share this with you (.wma 472 Kb), as a "rahme" (mercy), as we say, for his soul.

Update 5: More on the Byzantine theme from Leila Abu Saba.